casual thoughts and reflections upon life and the Creator whose idea it was in the first place

Saturday, March 11, 2006

I believe in a thing called love...

As a lively debate ensues in Army blogland around the possibility of a 'false dichotomy of mission' I was struck by one comment in particular...

'Surely our aim must always be to constantly and carefully look for that opening where we can wedge in the 'word' (as it were). If we just love for love's sake (a truly noble thing to do) then we'll just become yet another well meaning humanitarian organisation.'(Andrew Bale)

While I'm not sure of the 'wedging of the word' concept what really caught my attention was the implied inadequacy of loving for loves sake. Afterall, 'God is love' (1 John 4:16) it could be argued that Andrew is querying the point of 'loving for God's sake...' Surely more than a 'noble thing to do'?

Since John goes on to say that 'whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him' (1 John 4:16) I reckon I might be happy just loving for 'love's sake'!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home