casual thoughts and reflections upon life and the Creator whose idea it was in the first place

Friday, April 28, 2006

'Art' lessons from the Pardaise Zone

About seven or eight years ago I went to see ‘ART’, Yasmina Reza’s, award-winning comedy about what happens between three friends when one of them buys a work of modern art. And I loved it. So much so that I even bought a copy of the script on the way out!

Having raved on about the play for a few years Lisa finally agreed to come with me to see it again. The only problem was that despite it being exactly the same play we both hated it. Well, ‘hated’ is a little strong, but we didn’t enjoy it and couldn’t wait for the curtain to fall. And I spent the whole time wondering what on earth I had liked about it the first time!

I had a similarly strange experience last night – at youth club. Having had a few weeks off for Easter I was eager to get stuck back in. I’d missed it, catching up, the music, the banter the food that is ‘created’ in the kitchen! But despite the fact that it was the same club, I really didn’t enjoy it.

Admittedly there were a few new faces trying to assert themselves while testing the limits, but that’s hardly new. Whatever the reason, I wasn’t alone in feeling it had been an awkward evening and it certainly made for an interesting (if slightly downbeat) debrief.
Maybe it was just one of those nights.

Whatever it was, it’ll be great to see them all again next week. I think!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home