casual thoughts and reflections upon life and the Creator whose idea it was in the first place

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

You what?!

I've now had three weeks worth of Systematic Theology seminars and I've yet to understand a flamin' thing?! Questions abound - not least will I ever get it?!

After all, 'was Origen's hermenteutical use of allegorical writing really non-esoteric?'

Or is it really 'a false dichotomy or overly simplistic to polarise Pseudo-Dionysius's apophatic and catophatic assertions?' Is it 'an either or or both?'

Still it could be worse. I mean I could find that what I've got to read - in order to understand what on earth is going on in the 'classroom' - was similarly opaque...

Exhibit 'A' (taken from the Mr Dionysius' gripping Mystical Theology - essential course reading!)

'But now as we climb from the last things up to the most primary we deny all things so that we may unhiddenly know that unknowing which itself is hidden from all those possessed of knowing amid all beings, so that we may see above being that darknes concealed from all the light among beings.'

Ah, of course, that clears things up nicely - I couldn't agree more?!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Gordon said...

i feel a little silly as I have always spelled catophatic with as katophatic - stupid how embarrassing!!

4:44 PM

 
Blogger nick said...

i'm reliably informed that it can be spelt either way. mind you spelling it is the easy bit - understanding is something entirely different... at least so far!

7:06 AM

 
Blogger darrin said...

i get the same feelings when i read gordons blog (",)

4:47 AM

 
Blogger Johnny said...

saved happy & free! ;-)))

4:27 AM

 
Blogger Tim said...

I'm with you Nick. Barth is kicking my butt!

12:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home