casual thoughts and reflections upon life and the Creator whose idea it was in the first place

Thursday, January 05, 2006

How to freak someone out - a discussion

Lisa and I are having an ongoing 'discussion' about whether or not I should be saying 'hello' to people. By people I mean anyone we see on our estate, whether we know them or not.

Lisa, speaking from her own experience reckons it might come across a little freaky and may scare people. And I must admit that most people are surprised (the first time anyway), but generally I think it is a pleasant surprise?!

But I'm just trying to do what I'm told.

On hearing that we were coming to Stratford, a friend with years of urban experience advised us to be 'country people'. Now I must admit that I was a little surprised and quite intrigued by this seemingly unusual advice. With images of 4x4s, wax jackets, wellies and fox hunts I couldn't help wondering why the 'city needs country people'.

The explanation?

With eveyone generally 'keepng themselves to themselves' our cities are increasingly marked by isolation and loneliness - not the stuff of God's kingdom. As Jacques Ellul insists 'the Christian is the citizen of another kingdom and it is thence that he derives his way of thinking, judging and feeling'. Which means swimming against the tide. It means displaying a contrary set of values and has a different vision of life. So as Christians seeking to demonstrate an alternative lifestyle, to share an alternative story, the idea is that we model an open, welcoming disctinctive and live in a 'counter-spirit' to the world around us!

So as a 'country boy' I'm smiling at people and saying 'hello' - even to those I don't yet know!(apparently that's what happens in the country) Freaky indeed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home