casual thoughts and reflections upon life and the Creator whose idea it was in the first place

Monday, June 26, 2006

Preach the gospel always, use words amplified through a megaphone if you have to!

Obviously not the famous words ascribed to St. Francis of Assisi, but Philip Howard the (in)famous Oxford Street preacher, or at least he was until recently when he was ASBO'd and banned from uses his trusty megaphone.

In the face of such 'presecution' Philip seems to have picked up his megaphone and walked, actually he probably jumped on the Central line, anyway however he travelled he seems to think that the good folk of Stratford are either more tolerant or more in need of his declaratory 'encouragement' to be 'winners not sinners'!

With everyone around me smiling (or smirking?!) it was a nice surprise to hear him and to learn that Stratford is a place where freedom of speech/preach reigns supreme, but I'm less than convinced by his choosen method of 'evangelism'. I'm just not sure that megaphone-enhanced proclamation us the best way to share 'good news'. I think i might be with Mr Bell...

'Megaphone guy, I don't think its working.
All the yelling and the judgement and the condemnation,
I don't think its working.
I actually think its making things worse.
I don't think its what Jesus had in mind.'


Rob Bell, Bullhorn, NOOMA 9

5 Comments:

Blogger Johnny said...

top stuff, Nick.

We've used a couple of NOOMA bits at Croydon Cit, and the teaching from Rob Bell is really hitting the spot. Last night's Cafe Church was wound up with a showing of the "Rhythm" movie.

8:59 AM

 
Blogger Glyn Harries said...

Although I agree in general I have to admit that I have a bit of a soft spot for Mr Howard (aka Sinner Winner). He was interviewed in the Metro after his ASBO and I thought he represented quite well.

I've missed him since he's been banned from Oxford Circus and every now and then I take a sneaky wander down to Picadilly Circus where he can now be found sometimes.

As I say, I don't agree with Megaphone Evangelism in general but at least Phil Howard is (A) comprehendable and (B) seemingly in posession of some form of personality. And I admit, I like his rhymes. My favourite is:

"Girls, give up the vanity
Try Christianity"

Classic. The man's a genius.

1:02 PM

 
Blogger Mitchenstein said...

Oxford Circus certainly won't be the same without him!

Hi Nick - it's John Mitchinson here. Just to say that I always find it really interesting to read your blog and see what's going on as you and your wife work together to reinvigorate the work of the Salvation Army in its 'heartland'. What you're doing is really great. Hope all's well, take care and God bless!

3:22 PM

 
Blogger Keeley said...

oh and nick now you dont have any reason not to update your blog because you are back. plus ur argument with gordon last night over who was the biggest size. was just really funny and it reminded me of two old women. lol

9:40 AM

 
Blogger Timmy Magic said...

I have read this a few times and thought I would blog in relation it it - feel free to take a look and let me know what you think

http://timmymagic.blogspot.com/2006/06/sinnerwinner-question.html

1:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home