casual thoughts and reflections upon life and the Creator whose idea it was in the first place

Monday, April 09, 2007

Be careful who you have lunch with!

'Interupted silence' would probably be a better title for this blog at times! Weeks of 'nothing' punctuated by sporadic bursts of 'activity'. But there has at least been a reason (of sorts).

Last week saw us return from a week away and then Easter has been fairly important(!) and the contrasting 'flavours' of business and stillness have each stymied the intermitent eagerness to 'journal'! Still what use is a memory if we don't use it?! So rather belatedly I'm mentioning the fact that since I last blogged I've been fortunate enough to travel to Trivandrum (which is not, as my brother assumed a village in Wales or Norway!) in Kerala State, south-west India!

Bizarre I know as I hadn't mention the prospect of travelling four and half thousand miles around the world, but there was a reason for that.... I didn't know!

Long story short a lunch with some colleagues from the Salvation Army's International Headquarters and a casual reference to an imminent coneference on 'integrated mission' led to a last-minute invite, a hastily arranged visa and a couple of sore arms! Within 7 days I was in India meeting with folk who work for the Salvation Army in every continent in the world. It perhaps goes without saying, but it was a great experience. All told I was in India for 5 days (yeh, it brings a new meaning to a long-weekend!) so it only really afforded a glimpse of an incredible country and as ever it left me wanting more, but it wasn't without it's challenges.

While not my first visit to a developing country it was my first since becoming a father and I can't say that that helps! Rightly or wrongly every child represented my own and reminded me, painfully, what a mess we've made of the world. But perhaps that's why it was encouraging to be with a group of people who in their own diverse contexts were attempting to provide solutions and to meet the needs around them in very unique and creative ways. It was one of those times when you're proud to be part of The Salvation Army.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Johnny said...

Beats my visit to Brick Lane with my buddies!

http://johnnylaird.blogspot.com/2007/03/boys.html

2:35 AM

 
Blogger Ricardo Walters said...

Hey, Nick!

Surprise!! I told you I'd track you down sooner or later. Great to have met you in Trivandrum - really enjoyed the reflections in the blog, and looking forward to staying connected like this in future.

Keep it real!
Ricardo

6:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home