casual thoughts and reflections upon life and the Creator whose idea it was in the first place

Saturday, July 01, 2006

How depressing is hope?!

In the book of Proverbs we learn that ‘hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life.’ Proverbs 13:12


I don’t mind admitting (sorry Mr Laird!) to feeling sick during England’s against Portugal. It would seem that along with death and taxes football fans can also count on England exiting major tournaments at the quarter-final stage, often on penalties and usually against Mr Scolari’s boys. However ominously predictable, I can’t help myself – I’m an ‘optimist’ and it makes me sick!

This (along with the fact that we struggle to defend, score goals and beat other teams!) is why Scotland don’t bother with tournaments?!

Still as one hope is dashed another springs forth in the shape of the Scottish ‘tree of life’ that is Mr Andrew Murray!

Such is the depressing lot of a sporting optimist!

5 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

I'm with you wholeheartedyly! But then my team (America) didn't win a single match. : )

10:33 AM

 
Blogger Keeley said...

wel even murray is out now. We british never win anything :(

9:20 AM

 
Blogger nick said...

At least you guys were at the party Tim. The Tartan Army are impatiently awaiting South Africa 2010!

9:10 AM

 
Blogger nick said...

Now Keeley, we have 'won' the odd war or two (just ask Ethel and Mabel - my neighbours!).

Obviously it's hard to tell how the 'war on terror' is going and most people would acknowledge that the 'war on drugs' isn't going so well and the 'war on crime'....

I'm not sure wars work!

9:21 AM

 
Blogger Johnny said...

I think that hat tip to me is just your guiltyness at supporting England bubbling under! ;-)))

1:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home