casual thoughts and reflections upon life and the Creator whose idea it was in the first place

Monday, September 25, 2006

Perhaps he was right?!

A while back, when I was studying, I was chastised for ‘reading too much’. Now it’s fair to say that at the time, given the collegiate context, that I thought this a rather queer (in the old sense of the word!) charge to bring, a strange admonishment to make – I mean, when it comes to studying and learning, can you read too much? (another Tuesday night discussion point?!). But the other day at church, whisper it quietly(!), I began to wonder if he didn’t have a point - let me explain.

My ‘wonderment’ stemmed from when a friend of ours was about to embark on two years training for Salvation Army Officership and her husband was invited to share some words of ‘encouragement’. This he duly did by encouraging her ‘not to get bogged down in study, but to get bogged down in the One she studies’. In his own unique way he used Ecclesiastes 12:12 to emphasis his point:

‘Be warned… of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body’!

Too much reading? Perhaps he was right?!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Johnny said...

Hmmnn...I can't make my mind up on this one , Nick. I would love to read & study MORE, but an average daily 3+ hour car commute, plus running around like a loon for the rest of the time with one thing and another seems to curtail my opportunities.

7:44 AM

 
Blogger Gordon said...

right that's it - I'm stopping too

1:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home